Saturday, April 17, 2010

Swim Caps

Whatever happened to swim caps? When I was young no self respecting woman/girl would go into the water without protecting their hair in a colorful (and typically ugly) swim cap. Now the only people who wear them are competition swimmers.

But why did we wear them? And yes, that means I wore them also. I seem to recall a bright yellow one that I wore. And the caps back then aren't anything like the caps of today. They were thick rubbery plastic. I remember them never fitting perfect - so the hair around the edge was always damp.

Did we once think that they were attractive - or maybe it was that it was keeping hair perfectly styled was more important than fashion. Whatever the reason, they were once the only way to swim and now they are nonexistent.

I don't miss them.

2 comments:

  1. I thought they were because chemicals were harsher back then. So people were using harsh chemicals to dye and perm their hair and pools were using harsher chlorine (maybe not....) and so it ruined their hair. I dunno. Probably it was a vanity thing because they were trying not to have their totally ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was back in the day where you slept on curlers all night to get curls - heaven forbid you mess those up and have to do it again. Thanks for helping me feel old.

    ReplyDelete