Thursday, April 15, 2010

French Fries

Today I walked outside my office building and was immediately assaulted by the smell of french fries. I think it's true that smells can trigger thoughts and memories, because my brain immediately went to a happy place.

I have never met anyone who didn't like french fries. It's one of the early foods we eat - simply by virtue of it being easy for little hands to hold - and I think we develop the taste then. But all french fries are not created equal. I'm not a big fan of the spicy fries. I don't like overly salted fries. I prefer thicker fries to thinner fries (although thin ones have a time and place.) I don't need them to be curley. And everyone has their favorites. While I can do without the fries at one "royal" fast food establishment - others swear by them. The "arched" fast food establishment's fries are often too salty for me - but that's what others love about them. And another place has fries that tend to wilt - is there anyone who likes that?

My favorite place to have fries is at a Little League concession stand. They use the large fries - deep fry them in peanut oil until they are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside (typically because they are freshly made), and you can add your own salt. Heaven. Unfortunately, I don't often hit up Little League games these days - but it's a thought.

Oh, and typically I'm a 'no ketchup' person. If the fry is good - it's not needed.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet potatoe fries with honey mustard sauce, please! Done just right of coarse, with little salt and a tad crispy on the outside. :)

    ReplyDelete