Monday, April 26, 2010

Overwhelming Smells

I walked into the library today at the same tme as a gentleman - and I nearly bassed out in the lobby from the overwelming smell of his cologne. Not that it was a bad smell - just way too much of it. I spent about 45 minutes in the library and when I exited through the lobby the smell was still strong. What makes some people put on so much of a scent that it chokes all the air from the surrounding atmosphere?

I know that women do it too - but I, for some reason, encounter more men who have bathed in their scent than I do women. Or maybe it's just that the men's scent's are not as pleasant to me and so I mind them more.

I've had people tell me that their nose becomes immune to it and so they overdo it just to be sure they have it on - but if that is "common knowledge" then why do people still do it. Don't they know that just a dab is just fine -- even if they can't smell it?

The only thing worse than people who wear too much cologne are the people who gag and choke in an exaggerated way when someone with too much cologne enters the room. Come on, it's strong, but it's not poisonous. I'm sure there are a few who have allergies that it does affect that way (it happens to me with cigareet smoke) - but most of the people putting on this show are doing simply that, putting on a show. A show for which I have no patience.

So in the spirit of "just getting along" we should stop bathing in cologne and stop overreacting when others do wear too much. After all, it could be worse - it could be body odor.

1 comment:

  1. I think I prefer body odor. Well, I guess it depends on the odor. I once worked with a guy who smelled so beyond terrible that I can't even describe it. He was a clean looking guy so I felt like maybe he was sick or on some weird medicine or something so I tried to be compassionate. I had to hold my breath when he walked through my area--no exaggeration. And it lingered forever. It didn't even smell like body odor....Ugh. Cringing just thinking about it.

    But I hate the overwhelming cologne/perfume smells too.

    ReplyDelete