Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bribes

When a student brings you a treat, is it considered a bribe or just a throwback to the days of "an apple for the teacher"?

I have one student who has, since the the vending machine lost my money on the first night, brought me peanut M&Ms each class. This is very welcome since it would otherwise be about 8:30 pm before I would get to eat anything. (I did try the vending machine again, but it ate my money again, so I gave up.)

Now tonight I had a different student bring me two tangerines . . . and 2 napkins. And I began to wonder. Are they expecting preferential treatment when it comes to end-of-semester grading? Can I be bought by candy and fruit?

Hmm . . . I guess I will have to wait until I prepare the final grades to see if I'm "nicer" to borderline grades of students who were "nicer" to me.

:-)

2 comments:

  1. We always gave niceties to the teacher because we appreciated her (no him). We made classroom quilts for two of the teachers, unbeknownst to them until the day. We loved showing our appreciation for a job well done and the teachers were inspired and touched (the elementary school teachers to the boys).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just cross your fingers that those are the students who do really well and are actually more deserving of good grades, then you'll have nothing to worry about!

    That's very sweet of them! Regardless of their potential expectations.

    ReplyDelete