Saturday, April 10, 2010

Babies

Today I got to spend some time with my grandson and remembered what it is I like best about babies. I like holding them just as they are trying (or trying not to) fall asleep.

He didn't want to take a nap so I picked him up and held him and did that swaying body thing that all mothers instinctively know how to do. He fussed and cried and rubbed his face against my chest. He fussed and fussed, but couldn't manage to pick his head up. I hummed and swayed until he finally gave in to sleep.

This was what I liked best about being a mother too. I liked comforting babies. I never minded their tears or screams, I just wanted to hold them and walk or rock or sway and sing or hum to them. It was relaxing to me.

Now before you think I'm some kind of sadist (or saint) - I did have my breaking point (with both my children - but at different ages) and there were times when I just had to walk away and calm myself. Once I even walked downstairs and stood in the living room and screamed. I felt so much better afterward.

But I have come to believe that I like calming babies, because it calms me too. Something about that swaying and humming. Maybe I should try doing it without the babies.

2 comments:

  1. Karaoke anyone?
    Any which way you look at it, babies are bundles of joy even when they cry ( that's because I don't have one). Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite time with Hannah is on the evenings that she falls asleep nursing and then I get to hold her all snuggled up in my arms, her head lilting off my shoulder. From that angle I can rub my cheek against hers and soak up her peace.

    Comforting a crying, fussing baby is sweet. Attempting to comfort one who is screaming herself crazy and attempting to throw herself out of your arms...well, that's less fun.

    ReplyDelete