Friday, April 2, 2010

People Watching

I took myself out to lunch today. I asked to sit by the window (because it had better light and I was going to read until the food came) but I ended up people watching.

My favorite "character" was an elderly man in a wheelchair. He was wearing a little golf cap positioned jauntily off to the side, large yellow sunglasses, and he wistled. The sunglasses caught my eye first - they had to be women's (who else would wear canary yellow sunglasses) but he wore them with style.

Second was the young man carrying a skateboard. He was wearing a knit cap (even though its warm out) and he was wearing skinny jeans that were belted tight underneath his butt. I understand the under-you-butt-to-show-your-underware look, but I've never seen it with skinny jeans. It just looked completely wrong and took some getting used to.

Then came the little girl and (probably) her father. She looked 8-10 years old. He talked to her (gotta give him credit for trying) and all she did was roll her eyes and pick at several iron-on tatoos that covered her arms. I wanted to shake her and tell her to give him a chance, but . . . alas . . . I was on the other side of the glass.

The final characters came as I walked back to the office. It was a mother and daughter who could have passed for twins - only in a "mini me" sort of way. They were both short, overweight, with long frizzy hair parted in the middle. They were dressed alike and had on similar sunglasses. Each were drinking from a cup with a straw. They didn't communicate or even look at each other, but coming down the street it was definitely a sight.

Maybe I'll leave the book at home the next time I take myself to lunch.

1 comment:

  1. People watching is so fun. It so amazing how each person is unique. It boggles my mind. I used to take a book for backup, just in case there was nothing going on. Even then it is fun to watch the servers work.

    ReplyDelete