Friday, March 5, 2010

Social Networking

I'm continually amazed by the things that people can invent to put more pressure on their lives. Aren't electronics supposed to ease some of burden? I think that much of what we have available to us to "help us keep in touch" actually takes time away from our lives. And if that isn't bad enough, we're keeping in contact with people we may not have wanted to.

Am I on Twitter - yes. Do I use Twitter - no. I'm a pretty private person (except for putting my every weird thought on this blog.) And maybe it's low self esteem, but I cannot imagine anyone wanting to know my constant thoughts in 140 character bursts. I do believe that it has marketing uses and am looking into that for my job, but the real personal need is so that the narcissist can keep everyone up-to-date with their lives.

I feel almost the same about Facebook and Myspace. I'm on Facebook, and I use it mostly to follow business and organizational contacts. I have a few friends who pester me for pics of my grandchildren every now and again - and I oblige them - but I really am not comfortable using these sites. I've had people who told me that they got in touch with high school friends through Facebook. Good for you. If I didn't keep in touch with someone from high school it was probably because they were no longer important to me. If they had been important in my current life, I'd have kept in touch better. Now, I'm not saying that there aren't a few people I would like to reconnect with - on a temporary, intermittent basis - just that if I didn't I wouldn't feel deprived.

And these sites take time to do it right. I've had people invite me to join Farmville or to get Fish or collect Hearts or whatever little gimmick they've created to keep you coming back frequently to the site. It seems if you don't check in on a regular basis and feed your fish or harvest your crops, they die. At the very most I check Facebook once a day - I think I would fail miserably at these ventures. And they are just another way to use up your time in a totally nonproductive way.

Now I don't want to criticise those who enjoy Facebook as a way to keep in touch with the people in their lives. If this is all they have, I am glad they have it. I just don't need it at this time. I use my cell phone, my e-mail (a lot), and the family blog. If I do want to chat with someone, I typically don't want to do it in front of all your other "friends."

So, if I haven't become your Facebook "friend" - don't worry, I probably still like you . . . just e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment