Sunday, March 28, 2010

Children by Marriage

I think I've realized one of the reasons I love my children-in-law (and the reason some mothers probably dislike their children-in-law.) I am no longer the first person my children run to - in good times and bad. They now turn to their spouse. These spouses have releived me of a burden - not a bad burden or a burden that I didn't carry willingly, but definitely a time-consuming one.

I know that there are some things that both my daughter and son still come to me for - and for that I'm blessed, but they now have a partner to help them guide through life. I don't know my son's marriage as well as I do my daughter's (son's aren't as chatty.) But in my daughter's case, she picked perfectly - and by that I mean she chose someone who had strengths that she was lacking and who needed the strengths she brought to the marriage. I'm a big believer that, while in many ways you should be alike or very similar, opposites defintely can help grow a relationship if you are wise enough to let them lead you in the areas they are strong.

I like my new role as mother. It's not nearly as daily or hands-on, but still feel needed. Sometimes my role is just that of listener. Sometimes it's a role of helper. Whatever it is, I'm grateful. I enjoy being needed, but my days of helping them through their daily activities is over. As it should be.

Thanks to my children-in-law.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. We feel that Eric chose well too. I am looking forward to getting to know Terri even better. We are glad to have her as our daughter-in-law. She brings a lot.

    ReplyDelete