Sunday, March 21, 2010

Present in Life

I went for a walk today. I took my little dog out into the sunshine and walked a few blocks. She enjoyed it tremendously. I enjoyed it most of the time. It's hard to enjoy walking with Winnie - because she feels the need to pee every five steps.

But as I strolled along the sidewalk, I noticed something about all the people in cars who passed me. Most weren't really there. Once I saw what was occuring, I started to take note. The passengers in 9 out of 10 vehicles were on the phone. Who was more important to talk to than the people who were in the car with them? The front seat passengers didn't even glance over at each other. The driver stared straight ahead to the road and the passenger stared ahead with a phone attached to their ear.

The only exception were children in the car. They gazed out the window - often smiling at Winnie. They paid attention to what was happening in the world around them. The irony here, is that we accuse the children of having an attention deficit, when we adults aren't happy unless we're multitasking through life.

Maybe I should take a stroll more often.

1 comment: