Sunday, March 7, 2010

Reading

I've told this story to many people, so I thought I'd put it out there for everyone that hasn't heard it.

I love reading. I used to sit next to my mom when I was little while she read me Little Golden Books, but I wasn't in love with books. Until third grade.

When I started third grade I had a small older lady who was my teacher. Except for her size and the grey bun on her head, I don't really remember anything about her. She left within a week or so and I found out later that she died. Our substitute was a young teacher (possibly fresh out of college - that young)named Mr. Thomas. He initiated a new thing into our daily schedule. Once our lunch recess was over, we would rest our flushed-from-recess cheeks in our hands and have quiet time while he read to us. It would only be a chapter or two a day, but it was the highlight of my day.

It started with The Wizard of Oz. I was mesmerized. I was right with them as they traveled the yellow brick road and into the Emerald City. It was then that I learned that I could travel to amazing places within the pages of a book. I was captivated. We finished that book and Tom Sawyer before the year ended. This jump-start was all I needed. I was hooked on books for life.

Thank you Mr. Thomas.

4 comments:

  1. Like that, touching story. Can't say that anyone was inspiration for me, just that the love of books comes natural. I am reading a book called The Secrets of Becoming a Late Bloomer and I feel like the book is my friend at this point in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My current read is The City & The City by Chine Mieville. It's a totally freaky story about 2 cities that inhabit the same space . . . and, of course, murder.

    I'm a little behind in my reading blog - not in the reading part, just the blogging part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't remember the last time I read fiction. I need a lot of self improvement an am getting that through specific books. I have learned a lot through autobiographies, as well. I think I am ready for a good funny book.

    ReplyDelete