Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bra Shopping

A couple of days ago I went shopping (see earlier post.) My mission was to get some new clothes because mine were wearing thin and I hadn't had time to get anything new. But my ultimate goal was bra shopping. It was way past due and the 2 bras i currently owned were way past their life expectancy and not even looking fit enough to be a rag.

I detest bra shopping. Why? Because I always end up buying something that is just "okay." Nothing is what I want, nothing fits just right, nothing is really comfortable. So I try on several bras and then . . . settle.

Now, part of the problem is my fault - I'm quite a bit overweight. This means that my circumference under my cups is not that much smaller than the circumference at the cups. Now, I'm sure that I'm not alone in the problem, but to go into a bra store you would swear that anyone with my "circumference" must be a double D or E. It's the same when I buy pants. They assume someone with my waist MUST BE 6 feet tall. So, when I found one that fit and was close to what I wanted I bought 2 - and it cleaned out their inventory. Yep, they had 2 in the whole store that met my needs.

One of the other issues is bra style. I've never had a problem with simple cotton bras, and until now have worn only that. The problem with them now is . . . I'm getting older. The girls don't necessary stand at attention (or even a uniform parade rest), well . . . ever. So with a "single-ply" bra, it's often very obvious that one girl is looking north and the other is looking west. It's, to put it mildly, a little embarrassing and requires constant attention. So, for the first time in my life I decided I want something that was "lightly" padded. This way I can let the girls do whatever they want. But it seems that "lightly" padded is only available in cup sizes A and B. Cup size C and above - which are already quite big - only come in thick padding - I could probably stop a bullet with this bra.

So, back to shopping. I saved the bra shopping until last - or should I say put it off as long as possible. Found one bra that fit my basic needs and bought both in stock - and I didn't even ask the price. Then Monday morning I looked forward to putting it on with all the dread of a dentist visit. I knew it wasn't perfect and I knew I'd settled. Then on Monday evening as I was taking it off I realized I hadn't pulled at my straps all day - I hadn't adjusted the bottom band because of ride up - I'd actually been comfortable in my bra all day.

I think I'm going to take the tag to other stores and see if I can get another.

1 comment:

  1. Now I am thinking the bra thing is a common problem amoungst us mid-lifers.
    Body parts ship and move and feels like they are out of place ( not only the ladies). I am looking forward to getthing back out and hitting the pavement this spring in hope of getting some of it put back in place. Heehee.

    ReplyDelete