Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ouch!

I think I broke my thumb. I don't know for sure because I probably won't go to the doctor - they don't really do anything with broken fingers and toes anyway.

But, back to the thumb. I was walking in my door last night (but not carrying too much - see earlier post - just a purse, work bag, water bottle, and the mail) and somehow my feet got tangled over something or themselves and I went down on my left knee.

I watched throughout the evening as the knot rose higher and higher on my knee, and knew my thumb was sore, but didn't think anything about it. Then during the night I kept waking up with my thumb really smarting. When I woke up this morning my thumb was about 50% larger than the other thumb. I can move it, but it really hurts to do so.

You don't realize how necessary thumbs are until you don't have the use of one of them. Pulling on socks for instance really requires that you hold the sock between the fingers and the thumb. Holding a steering wheel is another. I'm really thankful that I'm right handed or it could be a whole lot worse. And I hit the keyboard spacebar with my right thumb - whew.

So, unless something changes drastically and I feel the need to revisit the doctor option, I'll just go through the day with my left thumb protruding out away from my hand like a semi-useless appendage. Well, it worked for Fonzi. Aaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment