Monday, March 29, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away

We used to sing a little song when I was a child asking the rain to come back another day. Now, I don't mind so much. Don't get me wrong, I don't like driving in it. I don't like it when my basement leaks. And I don't like getting wet on my way to and from my car. But I don't mind the rain.

I like rainy nights for sleeping. I like hearing the rain tapping on my windows. I like watching the rain through my office window. I especially like watching people get wet as they walk the promenade (through my office window.) I really like watching storms - it's better that "must see TV". Something akin to the people who watch fish tanks I suppose.

What part of growing up changes you from not liking rain to not minding, or even enjoying, it? Maybe when we stop going out to play daily. Maybe when work takes up most of our lives. No, that can't be it. I remember as a young mother hating to see the rain because that meant my son would be drenched by the time he got to school - he felt the need to jump into every puddle. And huddling everyone around one umbrella (because the kids surely couldn't be trusted with one of their own) meant my butt was going to be in the rain. And listening to children whine about why they couldn't go outside was shere torture. So the dislike for rainy days carried into adulthood.

So, when did I start liking rainy days?

1 comment:

  1. I was signing that song to Hannah yesterday....Rainy days mean we are couped up. I used to love a rainy Sunday since it gave me an excuse to lay around and be lazy, but there's no such thing as that anymore. I do like it at night though for the reasons you listed--it plinks on our skylights and makes a fun noise. And once we get this new deck, I'm looking forward to watching the summer storms from it. Watching thunderstorms is definitely a great activity!

    ReplyDelete