Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Soup

I love making and eating soup. For me, soup is not just a winter food - it's a constant!

The only thing I don't like about soup is recipes. I never use them -- well, except for ideas. Soups evolve from ingredients at hand, ideas seen elsewhere, current mood of the day, and spontenaity.

Last night I made bean soup. I use the packaged dried beans that have a dozen or so varieties in one bag. (I skip the flavor packet that come with it because it has too much sodium.) Into this mix I added ham (leftover from Christmas), carrots, onions, garlic, barley, and a myriad of spices (most notably cumin and black pepper.) The end product is wonderful!

So, today my lunch is bean soup. As it will be tomorrow and the next day. The only thing I'm missing is the thickly-buttered homemade bread to accompany the soup . . . but I'll remember it when I pack tomorrow's lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment