Friday, December 18, 2009

Pajamas - Revisited

I stopped at the grocery store on my way to work this morning and saw a man loading his groceries in his car. He looked like he was wearing pajamas. The print was of a football team logo so I wasn't sure. But when I got close enough to pass him I saw that they were indeed pajamas and he was also wearing slippers. This was an adult man - probably in his 40s!

I have seen women wearing the pajama bottoms at the mall a lot - but they were all young, so I forgave them their ignorance. I just figured they were doing it for shock value. Some take it too far and wear the fuzzy slippers too. But, again, they're young. They'll learn.

A few weeks ago I saw a lady walking along the street in pajamas and slippers. I assumed she was going to the little market that was ahead of her. I couldn't help but wonder what emergency item did she need that her sense of urgency precluded her from stopping to put on a pair of pants and shoes. I wouldn't even expect her to put on a shirt - after all, she was wearing a coat. But come on!

When did we stop caring how we appeared in public. Now, I'm not expecting makeup and styled to the nines, but maybe clothes! When did it become okay to wear pajamas as outdoor clothing? Did I miss that memo?

Is it a sign of getting old when I find fault with the trends of the youth?

3 comments:

  1. Are you considering 40 "youth"? I think it a little weird too--I mean, they make yoga pants for public :) but I also commend them for not giving a hoot!!! Laura and I had a big talk about aesthetics vs. logic yesterday. Apparently it is very typical of an Aries (her sign) to care only for aesthetics, and that's totally how she is. She wants everything to look beautiful. And it's totally typical for a Taurus (me, of course) to weigh heavy on the logic side and not care at all how something looks. Fun, fun! (Not sure how I digressed to that....I suppose I'm pretty good at making every conversation about me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I meant that I forgave it in youth - but 40 was just rediculous. i.e. old enough to know better. I am not expecting someone to worry about how others perceive how they look - but there are outdoor clothes and indoor clothes (made differently because they are for different purposes.) And there are plenty of outdoor clothes that are truly comfy - sweats, yoga pants - that there is no reason to resort to wearing pajamas to be comfy.
    I don't think the zodiac comes into play here because I'm an Aquarian - so I should BE THE ONE wearing the pajamas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you think, Bonnie,maybe because we are of the same generation. But, caring what others think...the world would be total chaos if there were not boundries of domestication(pajama's in the house, other clothes on the street). I don't think those people were homeless, obviously they don't care what other people think, scare-e.

    ReplyDelete