Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bathroom Chatter

Today I went to the restroom before lunch. No sooner had closed the stall door when someone from another office came in and immediately asked me a question.

What? You don't do that! There is no talking in bathroom stalls! I don't even know her and I've never spoken to her before. Why now? Why here?

Obviously no one ever taught her that stall conversations were a no no (except to ask for extra TP if yours is empty) and so I politely answered her. But she kept chatting and kept asking questions. I'm trying to do "my business" and she's asking me about the temperature on my side of the building and whether people in my office have to wear sweaters. (According to my bathroom mate, her office could hang meat - which I assumed to mean it was as cold as a meat locker, but I'm not really sure.)

Although I was aghast, I held up my side of the conversation and just waited for her to leave. I could outwait her. And I did, but it wasn't easy. She took her time washing her hands and then stayed to finish her thought. But she did finally leave and I set to finishing "my business" in silence.

Or . . . is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you--no need for chatter from random people while you're trying to do your business. My bigger pet peeve though is when you walk into the bathroom and two people are standing at the sinks having a full blown conversation. I always want to tell them to take it to the hall so I can get some privacy. Then when I'm finished with my business and they're still there, blocking the sinks, I get a little more annoyed. At my job, we had one woman who brought her curling iron and hairspray to work every day and spent about a half an hour in the bathroom doing her hair and stinking up the bathroom with her hairspray. THAT really drove me nuts!! If you're not here to pee (etc.), GET OUT!!

    ReplyDelete