Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Kids

I have 2 wonderful kids. I consider myself blessed to have them and took it very seriously that I had to turn these little bundles of joy into decent adults . . . somehow.

I think they were adorable babies. They were cute toddlers. Precocious grade schoolers. And then came middle school and high school and they were . . . alright.

But no matter what they put me through, I still loved them fiercely and only wanted the best for them. And even when they were "lacking" in, well, basic civility and compassion, I would still walk through fire for them and I protect them like a mother tiger against anyone who dared to treat them badly. Even if in that instance, they had deserved to be treated badly. In fact, several times my son has asked me why I kept putting up with him. He didn't understand. I had no choice.

And I thought about all this today. Like I have many times in the past. But today I wondered . . . I wondered if they understand now. Now that they both have babies of their own, I wonder if it's clear to them how I kept putting up with them and loving them. I put up with them when they treated me badly, when they withheld their love from me, when they put me through torturous worry with bad decisions and late nights, and just when the acted like stupid teenagers. No matter what.

And as I think about this again today - I think that finally they probably do.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly understand, and I'm guessing Chip does too. I'm not looking forward to middle and high school years, not if Hannah is going to be anything like we were....I'm hoping that karma forgets about me when the time comes...And I understand always standing by Chip because although there were times in high school when I was fed up, when he came home hurt or was in trouble in school, I was pretty dang mad about it too. I hope Hannah is as fiercely protective over her future little sibling.

    ReplyDelete