Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking Back

Another year is coming to an end. They whiz by so quickly now. I long for the years of my youth that seemed to take at least 3 years to complete. Now they are gone in a few short months.

This has been a monumental year for me. I became a grandmother - twice. But more importantly, I've been blessed to experience a year in which my children became the people I always hoped they would be.

My daughter is learning patience - with the help of her daughter - and the value of relaxing. She's learned that anything is possible with the right person at your side. And she's learned that home is the most wonderful place on earth.

My son, who has always had a big heart, is learning that his capacity for love is boundless. He's learned - from his son - that he is truly not the center of the universe and his time can always be better spent taking care of someone else. And he's learned to finally trust someone with his heart.

Me, I've learned to trust my children. Although they both still come to me for advice and guidance and unconditional love, they don't need me like they used to. They're doing fine. That was hard for a control freak such as myself to learn, but my children have patiently taught this to me through their actions. They have good lives.

3 comments:

  1. Terri is a very special young lady and we are so thankful to have her in our family and in our lives. We are looking forward to many more good New Year memories with family and friends.
    "Happy New Year!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks to you both!! Mom, that was a really nice blog entry. I never thought of you as a control freak though--you usually let me play that role so I had no idea it was one you enjoyed inhabiting as well. As for the patience thing, I actually was meaning to put that on my blog and forgot. Now I forget the story though...Someone very recently asked me if I learned my patience from my mom and I said "no, from my daughter." haha! Who asked me that??? I told you that story, right?

    ReplyDelete