Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gifts

I think gift giving - Christmas included - should be more about what I want to give you rather than what you want.

It's too difficult to get things that people want - first and foremost because, as adults, we go out and buy what we want. So that list is probably pretty small. And if you haven't bought it for yourself it's either a) too expensive, or b) something you're not sure you want. Second, buying what people want is too limiting. Maybe they would want it, but didn't know about it. Some of the best gifts I've gotten were ones I didn't know I wanted . . . until I got it.

So, I think we should give gift that we want to give. It's the thought that counts, right? If I think it's funny to give you the singing bass on a plaque - then that's what I should give you. Maybe you won't hang it on your wall, but I got enjoyment out of giving it to you. Ok, maybe that one was a little too far out there, but you get the idea.

Or maybe it should be a combination of the two - something you want to give, but that you think they will want once they see it. And if all else fails - give gift cards and let them do their own damn shopping.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Christams shopping was frustrating.
    I love to give gifts, whatever the occasion, if it is something that the person needs or it adds a little fun. Now that we all have more than what we need, Christmas has become a cherished time to get together with family. I love that beginning last year our sons suggested we draw names for Christmas giving. It has been a lot of fun. Though I try to find an excuse to give everyone something, and hope not to be in trouble for doing it. HA, HA! I agree that surprises are fun to. Let's make it peaceful and fun. You really got my mind going on this gift giving subject.
    Fifty degrees!! We have 17 and wind chills below zero today. Just praying for dry weather to go to Baltimore on Tuesday and for all those who are traveling for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think gift giving is fun when I have a really good idea (which usually comes because I paid close attention to something they said earlier in the year and made a note to myself). But if I don't have a good idea, I'm not into it. Here's why: Type A, OCD, perfectionist. I want to give the awesomest gift out there but if I don't have a good idea, then that requires a lot of time and energy and thought that I'm way too lazy to put into it. And I hate the mall. And I think us Americans have WAAAAAY too much stuff anyway. I'm reading a great article on consumerism right now and how we should all just cut back on all the crap we buy. And although I think your theory of giving someone what you want them to have is nice, I side with the environmentalist on this and would prefer to just give them a gift card if I don't have any good ideas because otherwise I risk buying them something that they will put directly into the giveaway box or the trash and what's the point in that?? It becomes a waste of money and the earth's resources.

    Whew! Sorry for the tirade. There are lots of things I like about Christmas but shopping is not one of 'em! Jeannie, I'm super glad you guys decided to draw names too! What a relief! It makes it less stressful to just focus on one person. Anyway, I'm really excited to cook a big Christmas dinner and spend time with family so I'd rather focus there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping? Naah.Chirstmas festivities? Yeahhh. I spend to much time wondering if it is the best gift or not. Type A and P (just kidding about the A and P, sounds like the name of a grocery store) analytical and perfectionist.
    I really don't pay much attention to the environmentalist. They are always griping about something. We all know how what we need to do to go green, we just don't do it. Besides, I think we would be better off without the extras and get in contact with ourselves to find the contentment that we think "things" give to us.
    anyway....

    ReplyDelete