Sunday, December 6, 2009

Deck the Halls

It's the first weekend in December and traditionally this is when I put up the Christmas tree and any other Christmas decorations that I am going to put up. But it's Sunday evening and I haven't even opened the closet to look for the boxes.

Last year I put a holiday runner on the table and set a pre-lighted small tree on top of it. And that was it. I thought about putting up the big tree, but just didn't. I'm not depressed that my kids aren't here on Christmas any longer. I do get to see them either on Christmas or a day or two following. And I picked this - I wanted Thanksgiving, I've given the in-laws Christmas.

No, it's not depression. It's a matter of scheduling. I seem to have time to put up the tree, but in the last several years it has become harder and harder to find the time to take it down. The last year I put up the big tree it was mid January before I found time to take it down. And, while a decorated tree makes you feel festive in mid December, coming home to the same tree in mid January makes you feel nauseated.

So, at least for this year, there won't be any decking the halls. Maybe next year.

5 comments:

  1. We have an empty house also. Our Christmas decor is still in the basement and hopfully a few will get put out this week.I am so thankful that our family gets to be together on Christmas. For many years now our guys have been out on their own and far away, as well. You are invited to hang out with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably "drop in" on the 26th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just now catching up on your blog mom. For some reason this post makes me teary-eyed. I suppose it's nostalgia. That combined with the stress of a baby who's been screaming for days.

    I'm glad Jeannie is reading your blog and commenting!! It's really nice and makes me feel less teary-eyed, or maybe more teary-eyed but in a better way than thinking of you alone in your house with no tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Peach. Thanks for making my life seem depressing. Alone doesn't always mean lonely. Sometimes . . . but not always. And I've got Winnie. Oh, great, that makes me seem even more pathetic, huh?

    ReplyDelete