Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Proust-Like Question

If I were to be asked who I most admired in the world - living or not - I would have to say my daughter. Not to short my son in anyway, but he's taken a path that I would never have considered, and although his path is finally beginning to merge with the mainstream, I need a little time to study who he has become . . . aside from the luckiest person in the world to have made it this far.

My daughter on the other hand, is an amazing human being with just the right blend of stubborness and sensitivity, creativity and pragmatism, humor and dedication, and knowledge and emotion. I think her faults, and yes she has them, are probably more a product of my own frailities and timidity coming through in how I raised her. As much as I tried to push her into the world in a way that I wish someone had done for me, I also feel as though my anxiety and fears held her back just a bit. I often wonder at what she might have accomplished or experienced if I had been just a bit more encouraging in the areas that scared me - like her going too far from home, either to live or for recreation. And my biggest regret and worry is that I have passed on some of my anxiety to her and that occasionally it makes her doubt herself.

Ah, the wisdom we pick up along the way as we progress through life.

3 comments:

  1. You're making me tear up. I had to have Eric pause House so I could read it to him. He said "your mom is a really good writer. She really respects you and articulated it well." Thank you. And yes, I am a bit less adventuresome that I wish I were and totally lacking in spontaneity (a trait I always wish I had), but it's worked out.

    So this is why you wanted me to read your blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I wanted you to read it because I'm pleased at my ability to get back into writing - to write on cue so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love free writing. It's amazingly......free...My blog is that for me, though my subject matter is more limited, but fortunately for me, my subject matter is about the only thing on my mind these days anyway so I don't mind the restriction.

    ReplyDelete