Sunday, November 29, 2009

Crying

I cried today. Not an all-out sobbing or anything, but one of those choked-up, tearing-eyed crying that makes you feel incredibly helpless.

Why is this blog worthy? Did anything happen to me you ask? No, it was just a sappy holiday movie (see earlier blog) about the intertwining lives of four incredibly lonely people one Christmas. I usually prefer the sappy romantic holiday stories, but this one looked promising - unlike the one I'd watched directly before it, or the one I watched after it.

The reason why the cry was blog worthy is that I never cry. I don't mean that I've never cried. I just mean that I never seem to cry any more. Oh, and I'm not talking about those catastrophic life moments that make us all cry - just your average, everyday periods of crying. So back to why this is blog worthy, its because I don't think I've done more than get a little misty in a few years. Maybe it's a side effect of the hysterectomy a few years back. Or maybe it's just that I've lived through everything and there aren't many things that take me to that emotional level anymore. Or maybe it means that my old heart has withered. Who knows.

But today I cried. It wasn't when the old man who was afraid to die alone died with someone beside him holding his hand. It wasn't when the man in the hospital felt released of a burden he'd been carrying. It wasn't when the young couple got back together and discovered they were having a baby. It wasn't when the lady with Alzheimer's reached out and held her daughter's hand. It was when the doctor fumblingly asked his patient's daughter (who hadn't had a date in about 10 years)to have dinner with him . . . and she said yes.

Oh crap, I am truly pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment