Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chinese Fortune Sticks

A couple of years ago someone got me a set of Chinese Fortune Sticks. It's a canister of 78 wooden sticks that are supposed to be "the oldest known method of fortune telling in the world." I don't know how accurate they are, but I find them a little fun.

Each wooden stick has a "fortune" written on it. To obtain your fortune for the day, you shake the canister slightly on it's side until one stick protrudes further than the others. I know it's not the most scientific of methods, but when is fortune telling ever scientific.

Today my fortune is "Prosperity will come when you least expect and most desire." What kind of furtune is that? Is there ever a time when you are not desiring prosperity? And there has never been a time when I actually expected prosperity, so how do you pin down the time when I least expected it?

Again, I don't suppose I ever think they are truly going to tell my fortune, but they are a little fun. So . . . maybe just one more stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment