Monday, May 10, 2010

Safety

I typically walk up the stairs at work - we're only on the 2nd floor and the elevator takes forever anyway. Even after 3 months, it hasn't gotten easier. I'm still winded when I get to my floor. But since I work at a desk all day long, I figured some stairs in the parking garage and in my office building is about all the exercise I'm going to get.

I had someone tell me they thought the stairwells were creepy and wasn't I worried about walking alone in them. First - our stairwells have windows, so there is nothing creepy about them. One of them is stinky (it's how the restaurants take their trash to the dumpster out back) but that's it. Second, why would stairwells in the middle of the day be creepy - maybe at night, but not in the day.

But it occurred to me that I don't worry much about my safety. I just assume that no one is interested in me and I definitely don't look like I own anything valuable - so why worry?

Then as I came in the stairwell door this morning I noticed that our resident bike rider had rode his bike this morning. And he/she was definitely safety minded. Or so I thought. Looking closely at the bike chain, I followed the pipe it was attached to and saw that under the stairs it ended. Not ended as in going into a wall. Just ended. Open ended. I guess he's not as safety minded as I thought. Or maybe its only the illusion that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment