Thursday, May 6, 2010

Orientation

I did the orientation tonight for the online class I teach. It's just a brief hour out of the students day where they can familiarize themselves with the software, the class, what I expect of them, and what they can expect from the class. So nothing is a surprise.

Wouldn't it be nice if everything new had an orientation?

Although thinking about it again, I suppose it's a mixed bag of nuts. If I'd had a proper orientation of my job, I might not have taken it. If we'd had true orientations for pregnancy and children, would the population explosion come to a grinding halt? What about marriage? If we truly knew the ups and downs (hopefully not in equal measure) how many would take the plunge?

I personally would like orientation for shopping. So many items of clothing (shoes especially) seem not what I'd been hoping for once I'd got them home. But in all the big things, I guess I prefer not knowing exactly what to expect. Knowing might allow me to second guess my decisions and change outcomes that really weren't that bad. I guess I'd rather be surprised. I think you handle things better when they are thrust upon you - what choice do you have. And if, in order to see the good things around the bend I'd also have to see the bad things coming, well, no thanks.

I've made pretty well so far. I'll just let ignorance carry me the rest of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment