Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Restaurants

Why is it that most restaurants (and, I suppose, all food sellers in general) believe they can't make something delicious without making it completely bad for you? They've given you alternatives when it comes to fat content, but what about the salt?

I had a truly wonderful meal today, but afterward the sodium content shot my blood pressure up horribly. I don't tend to have trouble with my blood pressure . . . except after eating badly. Mine is (thank goodness) a direct result to food.

I know to expect it from restaurants - but it's even worse in the grocery store becasue they give you no options. You can tell a fast-food place to not salt your fries (and you'll still get some)but try finding a jar of tomato sauce with lower salt levels. I was overjoyed the last time I was shopping to find a low salt albacore tuna. Now, I know all they have to do is give it a smidge less salt than it had before and they can call it low sodium - but it's a start.

I have nothing against salt - really - I just believe that it's overused and I'd like to control the amount I put in my food. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment