Friday, February 5, 2010

Snow

It's another snowy day. But i don't mind. I enjoy being stranded in a snowstorm. Just as long as I have heat and a good book, I'm good.

When I was young I lived in a house that didn't have central heat. There was one heating unit in the upstairs and one in the downstairs. It was so accomplished that I could dress without first getting undressed - all in front of the gas heater. I used my long-sleeved flannel gown as a tent. I'd just pull my arms inside and I could do just about anything. Sometimes, if I wasn't the first to get to the heater, I'd go in my bed and get dressed under the covers. It's not optimal, but it was better than freezing.

I'm not sure why I remember that so clearly . . . or so fondly, but I do. Some parts of my youth all blur together, but others are clear and vivid. The memory is a screwy thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment