Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Memories

Having grandchildren makes you remember things from long ago. Things you thought you'd forgotten because so many newer memories have covered them completely from view. Memories of your children.

Seeing little video clips of my granddaughter or hearing my grandson in the background of a phone conversation take me back.

I remember my daughter clasping my cheeks affectionately when I would hold her. I remember my son's giggle if I touched that special pace on his shoulder. I remember my daughter's stubborn "no!" when she was two. I remember my son's statue-like obsinate refusal to put his toys away. I remember my daughter's love of Strawberry Shortcake cartoons and my son's pretend sword in the air when he watched He-Man cartoons.

I wish that back then I'd had more time to soak in every minute so I'd have more vivid memories to keep me company. But they pop in unexpectedly when I see or hear my grandchildren. They remind me of my babies in a way that my adult "babies" no longer do. Maybe that's why grandparents love grandchildren so much - they are little glimpses of their parents . . . and my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment