Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Room With a View

I like my office -- both the previous one and the new one now that we've moved. Why? Because they have a view. Nothing spectacular. My old office had one wall of floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the parking lot driveway, the dumpsters, and a nice hillside. My new office has one wall of windows that go from about a yard above the floor to the ceiling. My view from sitting is the condo's across the creek and their front walkway. My view from standing up is a wonderful view of what is called Carroll Creek Promenade.

At home I have no view. If you are in my kitchen you can see the backyard, but otherwise, nothing. One side of my house has no windows at all - which is okay because it faces my neighbor's pistachio green house. The opposite side of my house has windows, but they are 3 feet away from a cement block wall. I've often thought of hiring an artist to give me a view there, but technically it's not my property. The front of my house faces the street and other houses. The second floor rear windows either give me a wonderful view of a building and a parking lot, or, if the tree is not bare, I see leaves. . . only leaves.

When I bought the house it was intended to only be a "starter" home. And at the time I wasn't aware of how important light and a view would be to my sanity.

Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment