Friday, February 26, 2010

I Did It!

I feel invigorated! Alive! Almost giddy!

Tonight I did something I've been wanting to do for weeks, but was too timid to actually do. After all, it would have annoyed one of my neighbors who is particularly bitchy and self-absorbed. I have thought about it, but I thought that I would avoid a confrontation if at all possible.

What did I do? I moved her garbage can that was "holding" her parking space since the first flake of snow fell a few weeks ago. Actually, the same family has been holding 3 spaces, so it's been difficult parking for weeks.

I was able to avoid the confrontation for a few weeks - simply because I managed to find another space. But tonight I didn't want to park around the corner. I didn't want to park on someone else's street. I wanted the space directly in front of my house. It's a public street and I've lived here longer. I wanted it bad!

I didn't take it at first. I went around the block. Then I went around the block again just in case some other parking space became free. Finally I neared the space for the third time and saw that there were no lights on now in their front room - it was time. It was my street too. I could get out and move the can and park quickly and be inside my house before anyone in their house noticed.

That would have been perfect, but that's not the way it happened. The can was heavy and it made noise when I put it up on the sidewalk. Then I simply forgot how to park and had to back up a few times to try to get close enough - and finally gave up even though I was probably 8+ inches from the curb, but because I have a small car I was still inside the lines.

I gathered my work bag and purse and tried to close the car door quietly - I was parked directly in front of their front door. They'd hear it. But I closed it so quietly that it didn't latch. I could have taken out my keys and opened the door again, but that would take too long -- so I just gave it a push with my butt. Finally, I heard the click.

I scampered across the street and into my house as quickly as I could. Did I mention she's quite a loud and mouthy bitch?

Finally inside, I started to laugh. I was grinning from ear to ear. I did it! I'd taken back my street.

It's the little things that make life worthwhile.

4 comments:

  1. Update - as soon as I left the parking place this morning she ran to her can (which was only parked 4 spaces away) and moved it back into "her" space. Some people are so juvenile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I second the high five! And what a weirdo!! She must have been watching out her window like a hawk. In Baltimore, they'll fine you $100 for trying to save a spot like that. You should turn 'em in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your turn in this chess game (that she has made it). You need one of those street easels with your name on it to claim your spot. :)

    ReplyDelete