Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Workplace Environment

You know, I've never - ever - worked at a place that had the temperature right. Now, I know that now that I'm menopausal I can't rely on my own inner thermometer, but my co-workers will back me up most of the time, so it's not that . . . or not only that.

I've worked at places where it was so hot - year round - that I wore sleeveless shirts all the time. I went for a few years without ever putting on a sweater. I've worked at places where it was so cold - again, year round - that I wore a sweater when the temperature outside was in the 90's.

My current job is too hot. It's almost normal in the morning, but by early afternoon (right now for instance) I'm turning on a fan to keep from getting too hot. They told me it was because one wall of my office is windows and I get the afternoon sun - but prior to this office I was in a room with no windows and it did the same thing. At that time they told me it was because there were no windows.

Now, most places have that period in the Spring before they turn the heat off that is uncomfortably warm and again in the Fall before they turn the heat back on when it is uncomfortably cold. But I can't seem to get a job that can control the thermostat. It's so hot in my office that if I don't eat my banana one day - it is brown by the next.

On January 30 we're moving. I'll still have one wall of windows, but I'm hopeful that our zone thermostats will help everyone stay at a perfect temperature.

Maybe I can even take my fan home.

1 comment:

  1. All my jobs have been like that too. My group complained once and the secretary said that the only way to get maintenance to change the thermostats was to get a thermometor and keep track of the actual temperature and if it fell outside of the 68-72 range on a regular basis, then they would take us seriously but otherwise, temperature is too subjective a thing.

    ReplyDelete