Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Skills

I have skills. Maybe not many, but I have them. Mainly, I write well. I've been telling people this for years, but suddently the outside world is appreciating that fact. In recent months I've been asked to write sponsor letters for a small non-profit children's organization, letters of recommendation for friends, and two brochures.

I'm not getting paid for these writing jobs, but it doesn't matter, I get a great deal of pride and satisfaction in just knowing that my peers recognize my skill and ask for my help.

I like this recognition because I'm a writer. That's how I define myself. Maybe not a working writer, but a writer nonetheless. It's important to me to keep up with my writing in any way I can.

Hence this blog.

5 comments:

  1. Learning to write correctly is on my bucket list. Writing well sure directly gets the message across. I loved taking creative writing in school but obviously never pursued it. If you don't mind if I ask, did you major in writing in college?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I have an AA in Communications and one in Liberal Arts. My BA is a double major of Political Science and Sociology (with a concentration in Research.) And my masters is in Business Administration.
    With that said - all I've ever really wanted to do with my life is write. Crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most of us are in that same boat. I have 82 credit hours but no title for them. The credits continue accumulating but now are accumulating toward a degree in Early Childhood Development. We will see what happens. All I know is that I love kids and when I am with them I am happy. But then, when I do Interior Design I feel happy, so who knows. Go for the gold....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a best selling book in your future?

    ReplyDelete