Monday, January 4, 2010

Databases and Nervous Breakdowns

Well, today is probably my last day of sanity. As I write this, a programmer is switching all our work information into a newly created database. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for our new and improved work capabilities, but it's a case of 'the devil you know' sort of thing.

Our current database is off-the-shelf and was designed mainly for Chamber of Commerces, but was adapted to fit our needs. But it wasn't a perfect fit and so our lives were full of workarounds and scrub reports to catch errors before we run important jobs. But I had it down to a science. I had a checklist of all the scrub reports I had to run prior to doing billing or end-of-month reports. It didn't do anything automatically and constantly made more work for me. But I understood it.

Our new database, while I'm sure it will be state-of-the-art and will fulfill my wildest database fantasies, will be, as all new software applications are, chocked full of bugs and problems. These will require constant phone calls to the programmer to tweak, fine tune, and finesse it to giving us the information we want. I know, this isn't my first rodeo here. I once worked at a place who, after hiring me, decided that they would change 5 specialized databases. Whew!

So, I should probably stop on my way home and pick up some headache remedies. I know I'll need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment