Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bagels

I have this wonderful little bagel deli down the street from my office. I first discovered their lunchtime bagel sandwishes - chicken salad is heavenly - and now I've gone for breakfast. A toasted bagel with cream cheese is always a yummy breakfast.

I don't understand, however, why they put so much cream cheese on a toasted bagel. It's really overkill. The flavor is great, but I like it to compliment the bagel not the other way around. And, on a hot toasted bagel, it melts. So when you pick it up to eat, your hand is invariably covered with creamy goo.

It is my humble belief that the best part of a toasted bagel with cream cheese is the bagel. The chewiness, the flavors, the texture - all parts of the more important part of the combo.

So, it's decided. The next time I go for a breakfast bagel - I'll tell them to go easy on the cream cheese.

3 comments:

  1. The neighborhood you work in sounds like a very interesting place, especially the promanade area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree: I think that the best part of a bagel is the cream cheese. I don't think there's a such thing as too much cream cheese. I could eat it by the spoonful...yum!

    ReplyDelete