Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sleep

I haven't been sleeping well. 

This isn't new.  I wish it were.  It began a dozen or so years ago. 

Most of the time I've been a light sleeper - wake up with any noise.  Though sometimes I can sleep through someone banging on my front door.  Lately, I've been sleeping soundly, but for short periods of time.  It seems that every time I roll over, I wake up for a bit.  Some bits are longer than others.  And if I go back to sleep, it's pretty certain I'll wake up again in about 45 - 90 minutes.  It's a cycle.

Is this part of growing older?  I hope not.  If it is, I'm going to need to retire soon so I can take naps.  I'm tired of being tired.  Morning comes too early and I have to will myself to swing my feet off the bed.  Sometimes I don't have much will.

I don't think it's too much to ask to just sleep straight through the night.  I could probably live on 5-6 hours if it came in an uninterruped stretch.  If I'm REALLY tired, and I sleep without waking much, I wake up at 3:00 am feeling ready to start the day.  But of course I can't - hence the need for the naps.  It would be ideal.  I'd stay up late (because I'm not tired enough at the time I SHOULD be going to sleep), sleep straight through, and get up early to start the day.  A nap would make perfect sense in that scenario.

I work close to home.  I could go home at lunch and take a nap.  But then I'd have to go back to work with bed hair.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I've said it before and I will say it again: start exercising. It will do wonders for you in all aspects of your life. Things in the body are not separate--everything is connected. Fix as much as you can and I bet some of the stuff you thought was unrelated starts to right itself.

    ReplyDelete