Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'm Back . . . . .

Sorry for the disappearance - life has been busy and stressful and a little crazy. No, I mean more so than usual. :-)

It struck me last night how much time has actually passed when I walked out the door to the classroom building I was teaching in last night. It was 8:00 pm and it was dark! Just a week ago, I walked out of the same building and it wasn't. I know that Labor Day is the "unofficial" end of Summer, but I don't remember it happening like someone flipping a switch. Or am I just forgetful in my old age.

I immediately thought the memory was going because I wonder just how reliable memories are. When I was talking to my daughter yesterday - and her daughter was throwing a temper tantrum in the not distant enough background - I wondered if my memory was off regarding her childhood. Yes, I remember her occasionally throwing temper tantrums - she would throw herself on the floor and scream until she got tired or realized that I wasn't paying attention (whichever came first) and then it would be over. Tantrums weren't an everyday occurance. Although she was stubborn, I remember clearly that she was (although quite sassy in her 'terrible twos') pretty compliant. She wanted her way, but not like my dear granddaughter. She was happy and often a pleaser. When she was upset, she was more of a pouter. But is that my old age corrupting my memories?

I have realized over the years that I tend to forget things that aren't important. And, the temper tantrums aren't important enough to store.

On second thought, my membory hasn't completely gone yet, because I remember VIVIDLY all the horrific temper tantrums my son threw!

The difficult times we have raising children are, for the most part, like the labor pains we had delivering them. We remember them - but they are somewhat diminished once they are wrapped in the cloak of our eternal and overwhelming love for the little monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment